I absolutely love it when I can create a “bottom of the bowl” sort of salad. This means that I don’t have to make a dressing in the blender, but I can mix all the ingredients for the dressing right in the bowl. It’s much faster this way. This massaged kale salad is dedicated to so many of you in my free Facebook Group, Raw Souls, that have asked for time-saving recipes.
Now before you start complaining that kale is yucky and bitter, can you please trust me for a second here? I have been making salads since 2010, and I am pretty much a master at this, I swear. This massaged kale salad takes all of the bitterness out of that kale, and dresses it up with delicious strong flavors that you are sure to love. Well, at least give it a slight chance before you decide. Plus, kale is an insanely nutritious cruciferous green.
This is also a pretty cheap massaged kale salad. Organic kale can be $1 a bunch at our local supermarket, and the other veggies are also easily sources. It’s perfect to take to work because kale is a heart vegetable that can hold salad dressings really well. The longer it mingles with dressing ingredients, the better, so this will keep for a couple of days in your fridge. Perfect work meal.
Another cool thing is that this recipe includes a few of the foods I mention in “10 Foods We Should Eat Every Single Day”, which you can download here:
- 1 head of kale, destemmed
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1 large handful of your favorite sprouts (I love alfalfa)
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 English cucumber, or 2 Persian cucumbers
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 ripe, soft avocado
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon saukeraut (make sure it is not pasteurized, and says raw, or make your own)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- Take all of the leaves of kale off of the stems
- Place the leaves in a bowl, and chop them up slightly or tear by hand
- Mix the leaves with the lemon juice and massage vigorously with your hands until the kale leaves turn bright green
- Mix with chopped avocado and mix well with your hands again
- Chop all veggies and add them to the bowl
- Add all other ingredients and mix
Quick, Easy & Filling Vegan Meals
Delivered Right to your Inbox