In the Mediterranean, we love to douse everything with olive oil. Doctors always say, “the Mediterranean diet is the healthier”. But the truth is, this is not because of the massive amount of olive oil. It is because of the massive amounts of fresh produce, and extremely small amounts of animal products in this diet. Check out research on olive oil and the Mediterranean diet here. This vegan Mediterranean cucumber tomato salad recipe is oil free. It is extremely simple to make. In fact, I almost want to eat it daily. It tends to be my go to on those nights when I am too lazy to make anything substantial, and I want something light.
The Health Benefits of Herbs
Never underestimate the power of green herbs. They have extremely healthful disease-fighting properties, and should be included on a daily basis. Mint is great for breathing issues, digestion, and nausea among many other things. When I had digestive issues, I used to take some peppermint essential oil in a cup of water. It was so refreshing. Additionally, basil is great for improving mood, fighting bacterial infections and inflammation, heart health, and more! If you want another wonderful herb recipe, check out my raw vegan lemonade here.
- 2 cups of colorful (or just red) cherry tomatoes
- 2 Persian cucumbers
- 1/2 cup of sweet basil leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves (optional)
- 1 medium onion (I have purple here, but you can go for whatever you have)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Chop the tomatoes, cucumbers, and onion very thinly into cubes.
- Chiffonade the herbs.
- Then, add vegetables and herbs together.
- Lastly, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and lemon juice
Quick, Easy & Filling Vegan Meals
Delivered Right to your Inbox