This salad is filled with nutrients, and is so very creamy and delicious. The mushrooms are the only cooked part of this recipe. Cooking mushrooms reduces their agaritine content. Agaritine is a carcinogenic substance that is radically reduced by cooking.
Instead of using dairy Parmesan, I have made Brazil Parmesan. Avoiding dairy is a great way to decrease the fat and cholesterol in your diet. You can read more about the harms of dairy products to our health here.
4 Amazing Nutrient-Rich Superstars of this Salad
- Mushies: Mushrooms lower the risk of breast cancer, and boost the immune system due to their powerful phytochemical content.
- B-nuts: Brazil nuts are wonderful for fulfilling your selenium needs. Only 2 Brazil nuts a day help vegans get all of their selenium, an important cancer-preventing mineral. Read more on that, and get more Brazil nut recipes, here: http://bit.ly/1VVhTNQ .
- Greens, greens, greens: I detail the magnificent health benefits of greens here. You’ve already fulfilled your selenium with this recipe, why not get some more minerals? Greens will help you do so.
- Garlic: raw garlic has the power to prevent common colds, contains tons of minerals like manganese and B6, and can reduce blood pressure and cholesterol.
- 5 cups leafy greens or spring mix of choice, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 soft, ripe avocado
- 2 Persian cucumbers, or 1 large English cucumber
- 1/4 large sweet white onion
- 1 scallion
- 1 medium bell pepper
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon, or about 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 pint of white button mushrooms, or any mushrooms of your choice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano and thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup Brazil nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Chop all veggies and place them in a bowl. Squeeze the lemon juice on top. Chop the avocado and mush it into the veggies, mixing thoroughly with your hands.
- Boil about 1/4 cup water in a pan (a small amount of water at the bottom of the bowl). Add your mushrooms and spices, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until they shrink well and are soft, making sure to mix them so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan. If you need to, add a small amount of water in the process.
- Add to salad once they cool down a bit.
- Turn on your food processor, and throw in the garlic clove once it's going in order to chop it. Add the nuts and pulse a few times to break them up until they are the consistency of rice. Add the salt and nutritional yeast, and pulse a few more times.
- Top the salad with the Parmesan.
Quick, Easy & Filling Vegan Meals
Delivered Right to your Inbox